Thursday, October 19, 2006

 

Challenging News- Scan Results


An Update: Yesterday was a new milestone in our journey. We got the PET and CT Scans results. It wasn’t what we were expecting. The disease has dispersed. Meaning it is now in a various locations including my lungs, liver, abdomen, and on the bone in my lower back. There were microscopic nodes in my lungs before we started treatment in May. So, there was the possibility of them still being present. We just were not expecting more. The spots on my lungs have grown and some are new. I am in no discomfort, except from a sore back from a few bad beds and a nasty bump I took while boogie boarding. I’ve been active- not in vigorous exercise, but able to play in waves, do some light hikes and short walks. My hair has come back darker and thicker. My weight has stayed stable. So given my state of overall vitality, this news was very much a surprise.

What this means medically is that I have a serious disease that is systemic. The treatment process is chemotherapy and probably for many months. I start on Tuesday of next week. The doctors are still working out which Chemo Cocktail and for how long. Many people that face this are often older and frailer. Their quality of life becomes a major issue. For me I am young and I have strength. I should be able to endure the Chemo. Its more a question of what and how long before the disease responds. Plus, there are new treatments coming out everyday. I will also be starting an even more dedicated wholistic life style. Yoga, more vegetarian based diet, and meditating and praying throughout the day.

What this means in terms of our lives: Stef and I are swinging on an emotional bridge right now. Stunned, in disbelief, sad, and scared. As Stef put it feels like we got suckered punch in the stomach. Future plans for work and personal interests are back on hold again. We don’t have enough information, yet.

As we entered the doctor’s office yesterday, we found ourselves singing- That’s Alright Mama, by Elvis Presely. (His first recoding with Sun in 1954- the year I was born) We were just being silly. Its interesting that being silly at one time meant you were blessed. The song was comforting. But as I sat there hearing the news from my Head and Neck Surgeon, a 1,000 thoughts and questions erupted. There was no singing to the news. I tried to remain calm, but inside I felt like a carbonated beverage bottle all shook up. He is a man of clarity and unique compassion. I asked him for statistics- his primary answer was that there were way too many variables to make a prediction. What he was saying is that Life is always contingent. That is we can never be certain of what we may be dealt. But Stef and I believe we can be certain of how we react and choose to live. As Dr Armstrong’s nurse Cheryl put it there are two paths— Focus on the Disease Process or the Treatment Process. For the present moment we are staying focused on the Treatment Process and holding the vision of perfect medications, right living and total healing.

We spent yesterday afternoon trying to digest the information. Then we had to call family and friends. When it was all done we took Barnie for a nice long walk along with Craig our guardian landlord. As we headed out I found myself singing my Elvis impression of “That’s Alright Mama.” I was feeling blessed in the company of Love.

To focus on the disease process, is to focus on the darker aspects of this journey. Yes, there is evidence of a tragic disease having free range in my body. We will not deny that. But, there is so much more to who I am. There is so much more to who we all are. I have an awareness of my thoughts, my emotions, and my spirit. Those are not physical molecules. They are not limited by the results of the scans. The degree that I can keep my mental, emotional and spiritual awareness focused on what is in right here and right now is directly related to my ability to heal. If I were to fall into the traps of “ain’t it awful”; “who am I”; “what’s the point”; what if-ing and so on, I’d be betraying all that I believe about existence and life. As Stef put it before we got the results- we have to keep our “allowance portal open”. By that she meant we have to know that no matter what there are possibilities of the highest good regardless of the circumstances we face. And that is where community, Faith in God and Hope step in. Turning the fear over to a Higher Source is the key.

Many years ago, Stef helped me come to terms with a worldview that had confused me for a long time. She helped me see that Light can always be turned on in the darkness. Just like a light in a dark closest. But darkness can’t really negatively impact light. We can always find the door by looking for the cracks of light around the edges. Throughout last night, there were moments where it felt like this disease has taken control of my life. We couldn’t find the light or the door. But I have to work on my perceptions to keep from slipping into the negative illusion that what we fear is more powerful than what we Love. I have to remember, there is always a “crack in everything” that is how the light always gets in”. So as Stef, Zach and I and our families face the darkness of this news, we know that prayer, community and Love are with us. We know that the perfection of God’s Peace and Love is in all things and that is the source of our strength.

Yes, I am scarred. Yes, I am concerned about how this will affect those that I Love- Stef, Zach, family, friends. But, I also know that I can fight this and there is so much more light that can come into this situation. So if you see me walking around singing “That’s Alright Mama” with a big ole crack in me, know that it’s the way the light is getting in. Recognize that I am just keeping my “allowance portal” open for unseen positive possibilities.

Thank you for all your prayers and Love. They are making the difference in this journey of healing.

Comments:
North, you are an amazing inspiration. Your attitude and words transfix me. Know that I am praying for you and Stef and all your family.

Thank you for your transparency and candor. Your words will inspire many others forever.
 
Dear North and Stef,
I am always inspired by your courage, both of you, for maintaing your commitment to the Power of Love in your lives. Though I don't regularly visit your blog, each time I read what Jenny posts, I am lifted from the pettiness of my life and challenges to know that there are others who, in the waves of disappointment and unexpected information, continue to catch the flow of life and stand in the Power of God's Love and Compassion. To allow the Love of God and, through your friends and loved ones, extend that Love, is a Gift of untold magnificence. Know that your being in our awareness is enough to change the world. We know not when and how it is happening; we know that it is. The Presence of Now is all that we have, and in this Presence our Lives are Blessed.
And So It Is,
John Phillips RScP
 
Dear North and Stef,
Thank you for your sharing. Your Light will get through the crack, have no doubt. You really are an inspiration to all those you've come in contact with and I know your Faith and the Power of your Love will get you through. Keeping you both continuously in my prayers.
 
Hi North and Stef--You both are such inspirations to me in my life. I am sending you both such love, healing and support. North please never forget that attitude is everything and during this 'unknown' journey you and Stef have so much love and support from all your family and friends. North,your sense of humor is a true gift...and the love that you and Stef have for each other is such a blessing. I will continue to pray for both of you unceasingly and North PLEASE continue to say positive affirmations daily and send love and healing to your body. Have faith in God and KNOW that you are perfect,whole and complete! I love you both so much and I am here for you always...Believe in MIRACLES!! Love and light--Jeannine xoxo
 
Stef--Your Goddess Girlfriends--LOVE YOU!!! PLEASE count on us anytime day or night and we are ALL supporting you now and always...Much love and light--Jeannine XO...
 
Dear North --

You are a light shining in the dark and I thank every day that I am fortunate enough to know you. You and Stef are such inspirations and I feel very blessed. In return, I am sending you both blessings every day. And I'll keep singing for you.
 
Hey ...North ....you/we all survived Great America and SQ ...so keep it moving in the positive .....a friend!
 
Dearest North and Stef,
You are in our prayers every day and night. WE are sending a million angels with glowing healing light.
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein.
Know that you are a cherished blessing to everyone you meet. You are so profoundly loved.
With all of our love, Glenda Jon Hana and Marissa
 
Dearest Ones,
You are in my prayers and heart. Your courage and presence are an inspiration to all. There are no words to express what went through me when I heard the latest news. The feelings were of wonder and amazement. You have been chosen to walk a spectacular path & heal and touch all who know and hear of you. North, keep writing your beautiful words and hug each other throughout the day. I will see you soon with more hugs.
Lovingly with Gratitude for knowing you,
Sena Rose x0
 
dearest North and Stef:

I sent you an email, but I don't think it got through.

I want to tell you about the Dalai Lama. He retires at a certain stage of his life to prepare his consicousness for his transition. The Tibetans believe that the state of consciousness you are in when you make your transition is the factor that sends you through the veil to the next stage of evolution. It has occured to me that as you do everything to continue living in this dimensions, that you both realize that whatever happens in the physical domain, your remarkable state of being is like a vehicle of light to carry you oward to the next stage of your evolution.

Your marriage is in the domain of the infinite. Jesus told us "In my Father's house there are amny mansions. I go to create a place for you..."

Wherever you go North, that's the place I want to go too.

i love you both, barbara

i love you both, Barbara
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?